Thursday, July 23, 2026

Why Testing Brings Complaining

 

Why Testing Brings Complaining.

 

I got to thinking about freedom and how, when we live in freedom, it can bring many choices and opportunities to its people. In the story I read, it made me think that not only does freedom allow us to make choices, but it also makes us feel tested when given such freedom.

Do you like to be tested? I know there was a time in my life I hated tests. In school, we are tested to see what knowledge we have gained or, in many cases, to see where we lack.

Back in my day, we took tests with pencil and paper, not on a computer. Usually, the tests were multiple choice. Occasionally, there would be an essay question. We didn’t have verbal tests, but there are tests where, to show competency, you may have to be observed completing a skill to show you will be safe to yourself and to others.

An example would be that, to get your driver's license, you would take a written test (or one on a computer) and then take a driving test to show you know the rules of the road and are safe to yourself and others.

There are occupations where you must observe someone for a specific number of hours in that occupation and be trained in it before being given a test. In other words, gaining experience and having a leader or mentor show you what it is truly like to be in the field you may be interested in.

A test is coming. As you go through life, be assured tests are coming your way. They may not be the kind with a pen and pencil or to obtain a degree or certificate, but be assured someone or something will “test” you.

Is testing a bad thing? I used to hate being tested. I was a horrible test taker in school. Things would get so jumbled in my head, I would start sweating, and my scores very seldom would reflect what I really knew.

In the College of Pharmacy, we would be graded on 4 or 5 tests throughout the class, so no outside assignments or extra credit. I would study with people, and after the test, they would ask how I did. I did not do well many times, scoring below 70%. My classmates couldn’t believe it. They would say, “But you knew the material; you got all the right answers when we would study.” After several times of this happening, they felt so bad for me that they said I should go and ask for a verbal test.

Another option they suggested was that I go on a beta blocker to help me relax. This would require a doctor's prescription, and I just was not willing to do that. No one ever suggested what today many college students are on, with or without a prescription, Adderall.

Students would ask if it bothered me, how bad I did. Of course it did, but I would hold my head up and say Of course, but I was always hopeful I would do better on the next test.

I would go back to the apartment and cry and pray. I would ask God if being a pharmacist is really what I should do. I knew it was, and I knew only by God’s grace did I get accepted into the College of Pharmacy.

Now that’s a statement for all of us! Only by God’s grace are we accepted! Now I’ll explain why I titled this “Why We Fear Freedom More than Control.”

I know God tests His people because His Word says He does. In Exodus chapters 15-16, I read the words, “He tested them.” I hope you read those chapters.

God’s people were given freedom under Pharaoh's control. Reminds me of some adult children. I will be doing the JesusRx Prescription for Children podcasts soon, and I was thinking about what a good example children are when given freedom. (https://jesusrxprescriptionforlifeshow.podbean.com/)

Some young adults don’t want to be under the control of their parents, so they leave the situation and are now free to live however they want. They can choose to serve the Lord God or not. They can choose many things to do with their time. They can travel, go to as many parties as they desire, take of whatever food and drink makes them happy. Hang out with friends all day.

They can also choose where to work and how to earn money to pay bills they never had to think about paying. They now see how important their choices are and the consequences of those choices, whether good or bad.

Under Pharaoh’s control, the Israelites were given work. The work Pharaoh demanded. They were fed. They lived a life without freedom. Pharaoh was not for them. He was for himself.

Godly parents are not for themselves. They raise children to know the love of God and why His ways are for them. Godly parents want their children to live in the Freedom God has given them and the dreams God has instilled in them. Things go haywire when people start living for selfish desires and ambitions that leave anything about God out.

The Israelites couldn’t handle the freedom they were given. Let’s see why I think this.

They were set out into the wilderness, led by God’s servants Moses and Aaron. They had no water. We can’t live without water.

They complained.

Wouldn’t we complain to our city employees if we didn’t have water or if our water became contaminated? If we have a well we may call someone to refract it, going deeper to get us water.

We may then complain about the cost.

Next, they had no food, so they complained. They were mad at the leaders. Like adult children, they get mad at the parents for leading them to freedom in Christ, and they complain when they don’t have what is needed to live.

God said He tested them. God allowed His glory to appear to them.

Even in their complaining, it didn’t change who God is or His glory.

Just like Moses and Aaron said to the children of Israel, “Come near before the Lord, for He has heard your complaints.”

We can lead our children back to the Lord, His provision, freedom, and love.

In chapter 15, the Israelites are singing and dancing because they are free, and then they complain about it.

I find it interesting that it says Israel came to the “Wilderness of Sin.” Are we not in the wilderness of sin?

This world is full of so many things that could bring me down. I never want to complain about the freedom I have to make choices in this world.

I never want to complain that I was better off without Christ in my life and the bondage of fear, shame, and guilt I was under. That was removed when I accepted the freedom offered on the cross and through the shed blood of Jesus.

I would have never recognized it if I believed the lies from this world and the enemy of my soul.  

I’m reminded of these words:

 Isaiah 5:20 - Woe to those who call evil good and good evil; discernment is crucial.

Romans 12:2 - Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

What I do know from reading the passage is that God heard their complaints and provided their daily needs. He wanted them to know He was the Lord their God.

God provided food to be gathered daily for what was needed for that day. No more and no less. If they gathered more, which some did, it bred worms and stank. The exception was on the day before the Sabbath; they were to gather more, as the Sabbath was a day to rest.

Once again, you had people who would not listen and go out and try to gather on the Sabbath, but there was nothing to gather that day.

As a child of God, I can thank Him for bringing me to freedom. I can thank Him for His provision, and I can even complain to Him about anything.

If you are a parent who loves and wants only what’s best for your child, how do you feel when they complain? Nothing is ever good enough. They may complain they don’t get the clothes they want, the electronics, the trips, the freedom to stay out all night, the freedom to sleep until noon. In other words, you don’t know how to take care of them properly.

In all honesty, I didn’t know. I went to a church in hopes I could get some backup from the Lord. Be assured He loves your children even more than you do.

A huge mistake I made was being legalistic and trying to set Godly rules when the Holy Spirit wasn’t guiding me.

I realize, as I am in a study now called the Gospel-Centered Life by Robert H. Thune and Will Walker, how it is impossible to do what is right on my own. I realize how the Spirit will overcome the flesh if I rest in what Jesus has done for me and never forget it.

I watch my almost 3-year-old grandson not do what he is asked to do, and I reflected on how no one taught him to disobey. No one taught him to hit his brother. No one taught him to throw a fit. I was reminded it is in us. The very reason we need a savior.

I have freedom from all the do’s and don’ts when I live a life guided by the Holy Spirit. How do I know if I am living that way?

Good question. When tests arise in my life, I will know. I will know because I won’t complain, but rather reflect on my freedom to make choices.

I will know because peace will abound, and the fruit of the Spirit will be evident.

"The mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:6 

 

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace..." Galatians 5:22-23

 

If you find yourself complaining when testing comes, know you can go to God with your complaint. He will listen and provide as He sees fit. He can do that. He’s God.

 

If you are like Pharaoh and only come to God when things are bad, and you want relief, well, you see where that got Pharaoh and those he led. (Just read Exodus 14 if you don’t know where his hard heart led him)

 

I have no idea where you are today. I hope you are walking in the freedom God provides while we are, like the Israelites, walking in the wilderness of Sin and allowing Him to lead you into the promised land with Him. Let Him destroy your enemies and be guided by the Holy Spirit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Testing Brings Complaining

  Why Testing Brings Complaining.   I got to thinking about freedom and how, when we live in freedom, it can bring many choices and op...