WHATEVER YOU SAY WE WILL DO
Have you ever been at a job orientation with others, getting instructions on what is expected? I know I have gone through several such orientations. Some of the information seemed like common sense, but it still needed to be covered so no one could say we were not told about the expectations and possible consequences.
I like to know what the consequences will be. Many people guide their behavior by whether the consequences are worth it. For example, if I am told that being late 3 times will cost me my job, and I want that job, I will do everything in my power to avoid being late 3 times.
At orientation, the group signs paperwork stating that they understand their responsibilities and, in essence, agree to “whatever you say we will do”. In this day and age, a manual is often sent electronically, so you have a copy of what you signed. You can look back on it to refresh your memory or double-check whether something is acceptable.
An example would be: Is it acceptable for me to get another job in the same field while working for this company? As a pharmacist, I was not to be employed by 2 different chains at the same time.
It’s good for me to have things written down. I like paper. Many times, I find things more quickly when they are written down and filed or organized than when looking up documents online.
Many people say, “It’s just a piece of paper,” when it comes to marriage. That paper represents the covenant I made with the man I married. It is written down and shows we belong to one another. If it’s just a “piece of paper,” I wonder why so many couples choose not to get it? Not to put that covenant in writing, put up the document that represents such love and commitment. Maybe if it’s not written down anywhere, they don’t have to remember it?
I have had people tell me, after a cancer diagnosis, they couldn’t really remember what the doctor told them after hearing the word cancer. They would go back, even if allowed to record the appointment and hear it later. They also said they had someone go with them to write things down or ask for information they could read before making decisions about their treatment. Just hearing was not good enough.
As I think about this, I think, wow, how God knew this. In Exodus 24, Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord and all the judgment and
the people said
“All the words which the Lord has said, we will do.”
What happened next? It said he wrote the words down.
Moses rose early in the morning and
1. built an altar and 12 pillars (for the 12 tribes of Israel)
2. sent young men of Israel to offer burnt offerings and a peace offering of oxen.
3. Took half the blood and put it in basins, and the other half he sprinkled on the altar.
4. Took the book of the Covenant and read it to the people.
They said: “All that the Lord has said we will do, and be obedient.”
Moses took the blood, sprinkled it on the people, and said, “This is the blood of the covenant which the Lord has made with you according to all these words.”
Am I not like the Israelites? I can go to church or other events to hear the word of the Lord and say I will obey. I hear things and then forget. Just like the manuals I had from orientation, I have this wonderful manual on life called the Holy Bible.
It is full of ways to live my life with a healthy mind, body, and spirit. I don’t need to be sprinkled with the blood of an ox or any other animal. There is a new covenant. If you read Hebrews 9:11-28, it explains why we needed a Mediator and why His death was necessary.
“For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more should the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
And for this reason He is the Mediator of the New Covenant, by means of death for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.” (Hebrews 9:13-15 NKJV)
Like the Israelites, I heard the Word of the Lord and said: “All the words of the Lord He says, I will do, I will obey.” Have you received the blood of the new covenant and said the same thing?
Could anyone be obedient to all that is given in God’s Word? Was anyone ever obedient to just the 10 commandments God gave in the Old Testament? There are at least a hundred more. When we receive the new covenant, our hearts really want to obey and do what God asks.
Every year, the sacrifices had to be made to redeem the people. (Hebrews 9:11-28)
Jesus Christ was offered once to bear our sins; not only that, but in reading about the commandments, I am told of the 2 greatest commandments.
The first is to love the Lord my God with all my heart (affection), with all my soul (spirit), with all my mind (intelligence), and with all my strength (will), and to love my neighbor as myself.
Two simple things. So they sound simple. Jesus said the second is like the first. When we do the first, the second happens. The love Jesus spoke of was worth more than all the offerings and sacrifices anyone, even a nation, could give.
I don’t need to speak badly of others or think how awful the Israelites were for saying one thing then doing another and turning away from the promises they were given. The awesome thing is God keeps His promises. The best thing is that he gave us all the new covenant so no one is left out.
God, through the new covenant, has given us everything we need to accomplish His will in our lives.
I, like so many others, want my own will. God's will is always better, as He desires only the best for His children. Peace will always be better than money, Joy will always be better than temporary happiness, and His love will always be near.
I will end with this passage from Hebrews that enables me to do what God has called.
“Now may the God of Peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that Great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20-21 NKJV)
Keep believing, and if you need help in balancing your health, mind, body, and spirit for whole health, reach out. Email evapopekjesusrx@gmail.com for a free strategy session.
No comments:
Post a Comment