Wednesday, September 2, 2026

"JUSTICE FOR ALL"

 

JUSTICE FOR ALL

 

Do you remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance when you were in school?

It’s something I haven’t said in so long I almost forgot the words. As I kept saying it, the words came back in the right order. What stood out is “justice for all “

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America” and to its republic for which it stands, one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice for all.”

Why did the words “justice for all” stand out? Because it doesn’t seem there is justice for all while we are on this earth. People commit crimes, and it seems as though justice isn’t truly served. Innocent people get blamed for things they did not do. People lie about others in hopes of benefiting in some way.

There is so much corruption and bribery among those who serve to keep us safe. From those serving us in the white house to local judges and county administrators.

I often think of how easy it is for Christians today to serve God through Jesus Christ than how it was before Jesus came to reconcile us to God. There were so many rules for God’s people. Once the Christians were grafted in, Romans 10:12 states, "For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him."

As I read the Bible, it seemed so hard to do everything required of God’s people. There were very specific rules, sacrifices, days of remembrance, and ways to celebrate those days.

I also read about the consequences for breaking the laws. Was justice better served back then?

We say it takes a village, yet “don’t discipline my child.” I shudder to think how many of our children would not be with us today if we had to live by the rule in Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

This passage describes a scenario where a stubborn and rebellious son is brought before the elders, and if he does not heed their discipline, he is to be stoned to death by the community. This command reflects the seriousness of disobedience in ancient Israelite society.

Of course, this advice is not to be heeded today, but think for a moment. What if it was? In this case, the parent was not the one who imposed the punishment; the community was.

Understanding this passage requires examining its historical and cultural context. Google explained the passage this way.

  • Cultural Context — In ancient Israel, community and family honor were paramount, and severe measures were seen as necessary to maintain social order.
  • Legal Framework — The law did not permit parents to unilaterally execute their children; the process involved community elders and was meant to uphold justice.
  • Modern Interpretation — Many scholars argue that this passage should not be taken literally today, emphasizing the need for understanding the underlying principles rather than the specific commands.
  • Moral Lessons — The focus is often on the importance of obedience and respect within family structures, rather than on the punishment itself.

As I was reading the book of Exodus, the heading for chapter 23 stood out to me. There it was: “Justice for all”.

“You shall not circulate a false report. Do not put your hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness. You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert justice.

 You shall not show partiality to a poor man in his dispute. If you meet your enemy's ox or his donkey going astray, you shall surely bring it back to him again. If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying under its burden, and you would refrain from helping it, you shall surely help him with it.

You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor in his dispute. Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked. And you shall take no bribe, for a bribe blinds the discerning and perverts the words of the righteous.

Also, you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the heart of a stranger, because you were strangers in the land of Egypt.”  Exodus 23:1-9

Interestingly, it said to help a person who hates you. Would you help someone who hated you? Would you take things back to a person you knew belonged to them so they could continue working? A donkey and ox were used for work.

Jesus said in the New Testament in Matthew to love our enemies.

The part about not taking a bribe or being a false witness would help maintain justice. Not showing favoritism in situations shows justice.

In the New Testament, in 1 Timothy 5:21, “I charge you before God and the Lord Jesus Christ and the elect angels that you observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing without partiality. Do not lay hands on anyone hastily, nor share in other people's sins; keep yourselves pure.”

With everything happening in our borders today, how do you interpret don’t oppress a stranger? I see that the stranger should not be treated any differently and should follow the laws and rules. Breaking the laws to stay in the land, they would then need to follow the rules. Because someone is poor, we should not show favoritism when it comes to the rules, it said.

In the United States, we do both. The government shows favoritism to the poor by allowing them to eat without working. They show favoritism to the wealthy and famous by not subjecting them to the same laws.

I cannot continue working on this right now. What I do know is justice does not seem to be served on earth. It disgusts me. There is so much swirling in my mind right now I can’t even get it to where it may make sense. Sometimes nothing on this earth makes sense.

When I get like this, I need to go to the one who can calm my thoughts and bring justice in the end. I know I do not get the punishment that would truly be mine if Jesus had not come and taken it for me. He took it for this world and all its messed up ways. No man, no president, king, or queen can fix the lives of its people. No amount of money can do it.

My mind starts to slip into a depression as I think of the sad state of affairs of this world. I’m not going to blame the government. Some individuals make up the government.

There are people you meet every day or see on the streets who could be kinder, work harder, make better choices, but it’s not about them. OR IS IT?

Should any of that be my concern? Should it be yours? Should we care about anyone but ourselves? There is so much imbalance in many of our lives.

Some are too religious, too political, too controlling, workaholics, exhausted parents, constant travelers, alcoholics, drug addicts, fighters for causes, too political, shopaholics, health fanatics; where does it end?

Not all of those things above are bad, but where is the balance? How do we find it?

Should I care? Should you care? I feel as if I’m not in a good place. Why? Because when Jesus says “Love your enemy” and “love your neighbor as yourself I feel very inadequate.

The Lord God, Father of Jesus Christ, the One given for this world and all its darkness and sin, will always bring peace and clarity to my mind when I seek Him out and His ways. He has saved me. Because of Jesus, I have been saved from many of the world's ways that would have destroyed me. When my mind is set on Jesus Christ, depression has to flee.

Yes, I am inadequate, especially when I forget what words Jesus spoke before “love your neighbor as yourself”.

Here it is: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30 is the key. The key to everything. The key to unlock love for others. The key that lets me do the 2nd thing.

“Love your neighbor as yourself.” I can do all things through Jesus Christ. Yes, through Him I can love my enemy and pray for those who persecute followers of Jesus today. Jesus died for us all; we were enemies, now called friends as we receive Him and His ways. His ways are good. (Psalm 18:30, Psalm 145:17)

Yes, I’ve been challenged in self-reflection this week after hearing a message at the church I attend while in New Hampshire. It’s good to go to a place (call it church) that brings out the messages from God's Word for us to grow in.

If you read this far, may God bless you. I had no idea where I was going with this post as I started it over a week ago. All I know is my heavy heart has become a bit lighter as I was reminded of what to do to find balance again and put my feet back on solid ground. I want to stand on the solid Rock.

The solid rock provides what’s needed in my life:

“The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Psalm 18:2 ESV)

“The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold” (Psalm 18:2 NKJV)

If you need help with balance in your life, remember it starts with standing on a solid rock. If you need help, please send me a message at evapopekJesusrx@gmail.com or go to the website JesusRx.org

I am available to speak at lunches and conferences.

Stay healthy and stay in His Word!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"JUSTICE FOR ALL"

  JUSTICE FOR ALL   Do you remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance when you were in school? It’s something I haven’t said in so lon...